Finished Block Size
12" x 12"
Free Quilt Block Download
Download FREE PDF pattern and templates for Fairy Ring Quilt Block. (Problems downloading our PDF? Check out our troubleshooting tips.)
Share your Ireland QBOM block photos on our Flickr® group:
Ireland QBOM (Quilt Block of the Month).
Click here for all Ireland-themed quilt blocks.
Heavy paper or cardstock (paper hexagons)
13 Template A*
Light green/pink floral (hexagons)
6 Template B
3 assorted light green prints (hexagons)—cut from each:
2 Template B
Novelty fabric (center hexagon)
1 Template B
Dark green mottle (block background)
1 square 13˝ x 13˝
*You may prefer to purchase paper hexagons that are 1¼˝ on a side,
rather than making your own. Paperpieces.com is one website that
carries paper hexagons this size.
Making the Block
- Trace Template A (included on PDF download, link above) on heavy paper or cardstock. Cut out on marked line to make paper hexagon. Make 13.
- Referring to Diagram I, place paper hexagon on wrong side of fabric B, centering. Fold edges of B over A and baste in place, stitching through fabric and paper, to make basted hexagon. Make 13 total (Diagram II).
- Align 2 basted hexagons, right sides together, and whip-stitch one edge, taking tiny stitches that just catch fabric folds (Diagram III). Hexagons should lay flat when opened.
- Referring to Diagram IV, whip-stitch together 6 green/pink floral and 6 assorted green print basted hexagons, alternating and being sure to sew correct edges together to form ring. Make 1. With right side down, spray ring with starch or starch alternative and press with papers still in place. When ring is cool remove basting and papers, keeping outer edges of hexagons folded under. In same manner, starch and press remaining hexagon and remove paper. Papers can be reused.
- Fold green mottle 13˝ square in half on both length and width; use folds as placement guide. Center ring on green mottle square and pin or baste in place (Diagram V). Using machine blanket stitch (Diagram VI), edge-stitch ring in place. You may wish to use a wool or other thick thread for extra visibility.
- Center novelty fabric hexagon in ring (Diagram VII) and machine blanket stitch in place. Press square, and trim to 12½˝ x 12½˝, centering ring, to complete Fairy Ring Block.
Check out our website for...
Library of FREE Quilt Block Patterns to view and download from McCallsQuilting.com - click here!
Library of FREE Quilt Patterns to download from McCallsQuilting.com - click here!