Sandie created her Challenge 3 entry, Blooming Baskets for Sarah Beth, using machine piecing, foundation piecing, hand appliqué, and 3-D ribbon.
Vote for Sandie by clicking on her quilt at the bottom of this page, then select "Click to Vote".
Blooming Baskets for Sarah Beth - 94½˝ x 98½˝
Sandie Mackintosh talks about her Challenge 3 quilt...
My original quilt inspired me by...
(1) Both quilts are designed using on point basket blocks (The original used 4- 18" blocks in a medallion setting,and the spin-off uses 12 -12" pieced blocks in a "strippy" type setting.)
(2)They each use a single flower in the basket that resembles the focal flower in the fabric of that quilt.( Stolen Moments uses traditional applique, and Blooming Baskets for Sarah Beth uses 3-D gathered Ribbon techniques.)
(3)In the original layout I used "A Simple Block" and solid setting squares and setting triangles to surround the outer edges and square it off. In the spin-off in place of the solid setting squares, I used a layered cutting technique to cut 4 identical patches from the focal fabric and give each setting square a different kaleidoscopic image. I used only half of "A Simple Block" split on the diagonal on either side of the Kaleidoscopic setting square to create both the the striped inner accents and the triangle frame around the edges of each panel
(4) Both were designed to have open spaces to feature the quilting, the original in the open center square, and the spin-off between the panels.
(5) Both use wide borders to frame the quilts, although in the original I chose to use a wide 1" finished binding, and the spin-off uses a very narrow 1/4 " binding with a matching flange inserted on the opposite side of the borders and scalloped corners to emphasize the more feminine , cottage look I was trying to achieve.
I experienced the following challenges with this quilt..
When I was designing the quilt, my intention was to retain an obvious visual relationship between the two quilts, and while I like the "folk art /country" feel that the original had, I envisioned this one with more of a "Romantic/ Cottagey" feel to it. I spent an evening designing it, and over 2 weeks looking for just the right striped fabric to use in the pieced triangle portion of the setting units. I never did find it, so I ended up foundation piecing my own "striped fabric" for all 60 triangles that I needed to complete the design.
My original intention was to have been to hand applique pansies using hand dyed fabric..... well, the time spent searching for the striped fabric had eaten up all of my time and I had to get it to my LA quilter - Mary Thomas of Quiltations, in Prospect PA- with nothing on or in the baskets, which turned out to be a "happy accident", and gave me a chance to use the 3-D french ribbon pansies instead of the expected appliques. But the most difficult thing of all was watching the shipping box slide down those rollers!
To vote for Sandie, click on her quilt below, then select "Click to Vote".
Go to the next page to learn more about Erin!