Cheer up! With dozens of daisies spilling playfully across this quilt, you'll be anything but blue. Two shades of blue combined with true white make Ann's design a beauty.
Skill Level Beginner
Finished Size 59″ x 75″
White-on-white print 2¼ yds.
Blue daisy print (piecing, borders) 2¾ yds.
Light blue print 1 yd.
Blue/green print (binding) ¾ yd.
Backing (piece widthwise) 3¾ yds.
Batting size 68˝ x 84˝
(cut in order listed)
= cut in half diagonally
40 squares 3⅞˝ x 3⅞˝
40 squares 6⅞˝ x 6⅞˝
Blue daisy print
*2 strips 5¾˝ x 64˝, cut on lengthwise grain
*2 strips 7¾˝ x 64˝, cut on lengthwise grain
40 squares 3⅞˝ x 3⅞˝
80 squares 3½˝ x 3½˝
Light blue print
40 squares 5⅛˝ x 5⅛˝
8 strips 2½˝ x width of fabric
*Strips include extra length for trimming.
Piecing the Blocks
- Draw diagonal line on wrong side of white-on-white print 3⅞˝ square. Referring to Diagram I, place white square on blue daisy print 3⅞˝ square, right sides together. Sew ¼˝ seam on each side of marked line; cut apart on marked line. Open and press to make 2 pieced squares. Make 80.
- Referring to Diagram II, sew 2 rows using 4 pieced squares. Sew rowstogether to make pinwheel square. Make 20.
- Sew light blue 5⅛˝ half-square triangles to sides of pinwheel square, as shown in Diagram III-A. Repeat by stitching white 6⅞˝ half-square triangles to sides (Diagram III-B) to make large pieced square. Make 20.
- On wrong side of blue daisy print 3½˝ square, draw diagonal line and place on upper white corner of large pieced square, right sides together, aligning raw edges (Diagram IV). Stitch on drawn line. Trim and discard excess fabric; open and press. Repeat on remaining 3 corners of large square to complete Pinwheel-in-Double-Square Block. Make 20.
- Sew 5 rows of 4 blocks each. Sew rows together.
- Stitch blue daisy print 5¾˝ x 64˝ strips to sides; trim even with top and bottom. Sew remaining blue daisy print strips to top/bottom; trim even with sides.
- Layer, baste, and quilt. Ann machine ditch quilted the seams. She added a continuous daisy chain in the outer white area of the blocks and straight parallel lines on the borders intersecting at the corners. Bind quilt with blue/green print.
Library of FREE Quilt Patterns to download from McCallsQuilting.com - click here!
Library of FREE Quilting 101/Basic Quilting Class Videos - click here!