Right off the top, let me say that McCall’s Quilting and our partner companies sell quilt kits. Bed quilt kits, baby quilt kits, precut quilt kits, beginner quilt kits, lap quilt kits, and more. We’re very proud of them, for their best-in-the-business quilt patterns, on-trend famous-manufacturer fabrics, and excellent customer service. And we’d love you to try them – that’s why there’s a special coupon code at the bottom of this post, just for our blog readers.
But this blog post is about why quilters as a group enjoy kits so much, and why you should give them a try if you aren’t already a kit-loving quilter. Quilting with stash fabrics and quilting with fabrics selected and purchased one by one for a particular project both have their places. But there’s a lot about quilt kits that savvy quilters should know and appreciate.
So without further ado, let’s count down the top 10 reasons why quilters love quilt kits!
10. Kit quilts make perfect gift quilts. When you need a quilt for a gift and don’t want to invest a lot of time in thinking, designing, calculating yardage, and shopping for fabric, a quilt kit is the easy answer. Stop by your local quilt shop (LQS) or shop for quilt kits online, looking for a project you like in the size you need. Purchase quilt kit. Cut fabrics. Sew. It’s easy.
9. Quilt kits can help build your stash. Sounds backward, right? If you’re buying a kit, it’s for sewing it up, not socking it away. But many quilters purchase kits simply to add a coordinated group of fabrics to their stashes, even when they have no intention of making the quilt patterned in the kit. The fabric arrays in quilt kits can be used in many ways, not just the ways in which they were designed. Quilt backing packs are good for this, too. Watch for backing pack sales of fabrics you love, and snap them up to add yardage to your stash at a discount.
8. Quilt kits make awesome gifts for quilting friends. Picture your quilting buddy unwrapping that yummy quilt kit for a project you know she’ll love. Need I say more?
7. You can duplicate quilts you really admire. When you fall in love with THAT QUILT in a magazine, online, or at your LQS, the best way to make one exactly like it is a quilt kit. Why drive yourself crazy looking for 5 or 10 or 15 specific fabrics when a kit is available? You’re smitten…buy the kit.
6. Quilt kits make hard-to-find fabrics easier to get. Every experienced quilter knows the pain of trying in vain to find fabrics not typically stocked by their LQS. Road trips, Etsy searches, online fabric groups, we’ve tried it all. Once a fabric is printed, it’s very rare for the manufacturer to reprint – it’s a limited commodity. So if you MUST have that specific stripe-with-alligators for someone special’s quilt, snap up a quilt kit that includes it. Use the rest of the fabrics in the kit to fill in your project, or add them to your stash.
5. Quilt kits come with support. In most cases, kits include complete quilt patterns, and also some form of customer service. Buying yardage is not going to help you in this way. You have to have your own quilt pattern (one you design, or one you select from a magazine or book), and you have to interpret the fabric requirements as you select fabrics one by one. Is this red dark enough? Is that blue a little too far on the purple side? With a kit, these questions never come up. And if you do have trouble with the contents of the kit, most LQSs and online vendors are very happy to help, either with the kit contents or the quilt pattern. It’s a quilt-making insurance policy!
4. Quilt kits make best use of specific fabric collections. There’s a large subgroup of quilt kits that consists of quilts made with fabrics from a single collection. These quilts are typically designed to showcase all the special features of the fabric in question, making best use of directional motifs, fussy-cutting opportunities, color combinations, and other traits peculiar to that line. So when you fall in love with a fabric collection, consider a quilt kit made from it rather than random yardage. Leave the design work to the pros!
3. Quilt kits save money in most cases. You’re not purchasing extra yardage “just in case”. And with so many free shipping offers for kits purchased online, you can save money on transport. No gassing up the car!
2. Quilt kits save time. LOTS of time. In some cases, many many hours of your precious quilting time. Quilt kits containing yardage save you shopping time, which can be significant if you’re looking for specific fabrics or if fabric coordination is challenging for you. And quilt kits containing precut patches save both shopping AND cutting time. You open the kit and start sewing…you get right to the fun!
And at the top of the reasons-to-love-quilt-kits list, we have:
1. The thrill of getting that quilt kit package in the mail (when you order online or through a catalog). Many quilters say that when a quilt kit arrives in the mail, it’s a little like Christmas morning! And who doesn’t need more of THAT feeling in their lives? When you buy a kit at your LQS, you also get a bit of the same thrill…after all, you’re allowing yourself something special. But a package that turns up at your door, the fun of ripping it open, the oohs and aaahs over fabrics you may be seeing in person for the first time…there’s nothing like it!
Now it’s time to treat yourself to some quilt kit shopping! I encourage you to do this even if you’re not ready to buy. Head for your LQS, or start looking online. There’s a wide world of quilt kits available just waiting to make your quilting life better in 10 – or more!- ways.
Here’s a little something from us to get you started – how about 10% off all quilt kits at QuiltAndSewShop.com, now through July 1? Enter code LOVEQK10 at checkout and save on kit quilts we know you’ll love!