I just finished another bed-size quilt, my first PIGS (Projects in Grocery Sacks) finish for May. I’m trying really hard to get my PIGS down to a more manageable number. At last count I had 30 PIGS and because of sewing that I do for work, the number keeps growing.
Since it is so early in the month, I hope that I can finish two PIGS this month. If I finish several a month for the rest of the year, I might be able to get the remaining ones all in one large box. Right now they are in three large boxes.
This PIG started as step-outs for a lesson that goes with this pretty quilt pattern, Changing Lanes by Stephanie Sheridan in the April/May 2017 issue of McCall’s Quick Quilts. The issue is available at QuiltandSewShop.com in digital or hard copy. There is also a stand-alone pattern.
I named my quilt Atlanta, referring to the many lanes of traffic in the Atlanta highway system.
I talked about Atlanta in a blog a few weeks ago.
The fabric is from the Dreamscape collection by Benartex. The folks at Benartex talked about Changing Lanes on their blog not long ago.
My quilt is just like the quick and easy pattern except I added three strips to the width to make it a queen-size quilt.
I made 16 Disappearing Four Patch blocks for the back of my quilt. I used the rest of the leftover fabric from the collection and fabric from my Fabric Inventory to make two borders.
It was my turn to quilt another quilt on the Grace Q’nique longarm at work so I loaded my quilt top, back and Warm 80/20 batting by the Warm Company. Because I wanted to do the quilting with a different pattern in each strip, I loaded my quilt crosswise so the strips went horizontally.
I learned a lot as I experimented with different quilting patterns. Things that I thought would be easy were not. Things that I thought would be difficult were much easier than I expected.
I thought circles would be fairly easy since my brain knows how to draw a circle. Not so!
And small circles were even harder. These are supposed to be earrings with tiny pearls at each end of the oval. I think the oysters that made these pearls need a vacation.
Generally, the patterns with straight lines like the Greek key, the electrocardiogram and the grid were easier than the patterns with specific curves such as the dots and dashes and the earrings.
My swirly flowers and my leaves are the patterns that came out the best.
There is one really funny story. When I quilted the grid on the very last strip, I encountered a serious lump on the edge of quilt. I stitched over that lump for about 12 inches before I stopped and discovered I was stitching through the leader. (The leader is cloth that is attached to the frame. It’s how you secure your quilt top, batting and back to the frame.) My quilt back was not quite long enough. I left the outside 1/3 of that strip unquilted, took it off the longarm and finished it on my domestic machine. If I don’t tell what I did, you’d never know. But I think it’s part of that quilt’s story and so I’ll probably tell it often.
I’m pleased with Atlanta. And I can’t wait to see what strikes my fancy for the next PIGS finish.