I Love This Quilt! A Sparkling Sampler

Russek Erin I Love This Quilt! A Sparkling Sampler

Erin Russek

Erin’s pick for the I Love This Quilt! page, A Sparkling Sampler by Lynn Lister, appears in the May/June 2016 issue of McCall’s Quilting.

Download A Sparkling Sampler free twin/lap quilt pattern here, and read on about Erin’s fresh version of this quilt!

Sparkling Sampler Styled Large I Love This Quilt! A Sparkling Sampler

I have always been fascinated by puzzle quilts but have never really known where to start when making one. I love the look of the A Sparkling Sampler quilt so I thought I would use it as a starting place for my own puzzle quilt.

McQ1 600px I Love This Quilt! A Sparkling SamplerI’m using the Strawberry Fields Revisited fabric collection by Fig Tree for Moda because I wanted a nice, summery look.

McQ3 600px I Love This Quilt! A Sparkling SamplerWhen I study the assembly diagram for this quilt I notice there are several 12″ blocks. Since I’m substituting other blocks to put in the Sparkling Sampler setting, the first block I made was Kansas Troubles. I wanted to try a fun new piecing trick I learned. I also made a few 4″ blocks that I can substitute in for some pairs of flying geese and hourglass blocks.

McQ2 600px I Love This Quilt! A Sparkling SamplerI love working with Moda bundles. Their collections always have such a nice combination of color and texture. Wish me luck!

Erin

Have you missed any of our previous I Love This Quilt! free quilt patterns? Check them all out here!

This entry was posted in Free Quilt Patterns and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to I Love This Quilt! A Sparkling Sampler

1. Pingback: Friday Free Quilt Patterns: A Sparkling Sampler | McCall's Quilting Blog

2. Donna Luehmann says:

I just printed out the pattern for A Sparkling Sampler and could not find how much fabric was required for the quilt. I also just posted this comment. Did you receive it? I love the quilt but can’t make it if I don’t know the fabric requirements! Thanks!

3. Kathy says:

Hi, Donna. The “Piece Size” column in each block cutting chart tells you what kinds and how much of each fabric you need for that block or blocks. Yardage was done this way because it’s such a scrappy quilt that most stitchers will work block by block. The Cutting Chart on page 38 has Piece Sizes for all the sashing pieces plus border and binding. You will also need a 78″ x 90″ piece of batting and 5 1/4 yards of backing fabric (piece lengthwise). Hope that helps! -Kathy-

4. Clairequilty says:

Thank you for this fabulous pattern. For a long time I’ve wanted to create a quilt with the blocks different sizes. This fits the bill. Plus I have a lot of scraps to use up.

5. Nancy Bollinger says:

Do you think this quilt could be made in two colors

6. Paula Brewster says:

I just downloaded – only downloaded the first 20 pages. The next 20 were blank. Hope you can help me..I love this quilt!

7. Kathy says:

Absolutely! I can see it in red and white, blue and yellow, any number of combinations! -Kathy-

8. Kathy says:

Paula, watch your email for the file download. -Kathy-

9. Linda Simpson says:

This has been my favorite McCall’s quilt pattern in a long time. I had planned on doing a Christmas quilt with it, but perhaps your idea of doing a summer one might be more fun & useable for a longer period of time. Where I live it’s summer for 9 mo’s of the yr, Post pic’s as you progress to give me some ideas. I’ll be watching, I love what I see so far. Thumbs up. I copy all my favorites from the magazine & keep them in a notebook, so I have east access to all the particulars.

10. Terry Handerson. says:

Could you send me the file too? My tablet space is too small for this file. thanks!

11. Kathy says:

The pattern is on its way to your email inbox. Enjoy!

12. Patty says:

The download has failed on me twice. Can you send the pattern file to me as well?

13. Kathy says:

Patty, an email is on its way to you. Enjoy!

14. Lynn Conzelman says:

Please send the pattern for “I Love This Quilt! Sparkling Sampler to my e-mail.

Thank you. Am very anxious to start a controlled scrappy version.

15. Kathy says:

Watch your email, it’s on its way!

16. Cheryl says:

Lookin to get pattern. Made this as a Christmas Quilt several years ago…have lost my pattern. Would love to make it again in fresh modern colors.

17. Mary Cromley says:

Love this pattern, can you sent to my e-mail address, I have some Edita ( Moda ) that would look great with this pattern. Thank You

18. Kathy says:

Watch your email…it’s on its way! -Kathy-

19. Debbie Pont says:

this is a beautiful quilt . I would love to put it together in a scrappy fashion. Where can I get the pattern. Thank you

20. Kathy says:

Debbie, you can download the pattern here: http://www.mccallsquilting.com/content_downloads/ASparklingSamplerForWeb.pdf
    If for some reason that link doesn’t work for you, email me at Kathryn.Patterson@fwcommunity.com and I’ll send the pattern to you in an email. Enjoy! -Kathy-

21. Joanne Monaghan says:

I could not download this free quilt pattern can you see it to my email.

22. Kathy says:

Email on the way! -Kathy-

23. Amy Spanne says:

I loved the pattern too. I had a jelly roll of Moda’s American Jane fabric I cut & stitched together with some Clothworks fabric to make it. I think the link in my “website” will show you my facebook page w/ it. Rather than Christmas-y, it’s more Schoolhouse, cheerful looking.

24. Joan Wood says:

I just got back to working on my Sparkling Sampler Quilt. Your site says that Block H has been corrected and sends you thru a link to get the correction. It is not there. Could you please send me complete instructions for this quilt. I have purchased the monthly packets, I have received kits for months 1 thru 5. I would like all of the packets sent out and complete instructions. It seems like this whole project is taking forever to come and the changes and instructions are not really available on line. I love this quilt, but do not understand why it is so slow in coming to me. Some people seem to have received all their kits. Is there a reason I have not?

25. Kathy says:

Joan, our customer service department is going to contact you right away. We’ll get this sorted out immediately! -Kathy-

26. Shirley J Stine says:

I was very ill when this pattern was free to download. I have tried my best to download it but to no avail. Is there any way left to get a copy of it??? thanks in advance if you are able to help out. SJ Stine

27. Kathy says:

Shirley, here is the direct link to the pattern. Copy/paste into your browser and you should be able to download the pattern. If this doesn’t work, email KathrynPattersonQuilts@gmail.com and I’ll send the PDF to you. – Kathy-