Tuesday Tutorials: Flanged Quilt Binding by Machine

Patterson Kathy 70px Tuesday Tutorials: Flanged Quilt Binding by MachineWhat if I told you there’s a way to add extra detail to a quilt binding PLUS complete it much faster than with the traditional technique? That there would be zero hand sewing, and the quilt binding would look beautiful from both the front and the back of the quilt? Flanged quilt binding by machine does all that, and it’s VERY easy to learn. In fact, once you try it you may find it becomes your go-to method for binding quilts!

Completed 358px Tuesday Tutorials: Flanged Quilt Binding by Machine

Just look at the pretty detail of that narrow brown strip! In this method, two fabrics are used in the quilt binding, one for the tiny flange detail, and the other for the outer binding.

Turning to front 378px Tuesday Tutorials: Flanged Quilt Binding by Machine

This method is also different from the traditional binding technique in that the binding is sewn to the back of the quilt first, and then turned to the front.

Sewing to front 372px Tuesday Tutorials: Flanged Quilt Binding by Machine

All stitching is done by machine, making this a very quick binding technique. And it’s so beautiful! McCall’s Quilting associate editor Sherri Bain Driver recorded a short video demonstrating this technique…watch the FREE video here.

I hope you enjoy this Tuesday Tutorial and give the flanged binding by machine technique a try. Remember, you can watch any of our free MQU how-to-quilt video lessons any time day or night—click here to see the full selectionAnd don’t miss any of our Tuesday Tutorials—access them all right here!

Clover offers super-helpful clips for holding binding in place for stitching. Click photos for details.

Wonder Clips Tuesday Tutorials: Flanged Quilt Binding by MachineJumbo Wonder Clips Tuesday Tutorials: Flanged Quilt Binding by Machine

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Tuesday Tutorials: Flanged Quilt Binding by Machine

1. Diane says:

I just watched the video Flanged Quilt Binding by Machine and it is fabulous. I would like to get this in PRINT so I can teach my students this wonderfully easy technique to making the quilt have that extra flair. Is this available in print???? Please say yes!!
    Diane in Canandaigua NY

2. Linda says:

Great idea !

3. Kathy says:

Diane, occasionally McCall’s Quilting patterns feature this technique and include instructions and diagrams for it, but no video. Perhaps you could show your students the video and then do your own demo…live demonstrations are so powerful! -Kathy-

4. Norma Weeks says:

This is definitely the best, easiest and most accurate way of creating a flanged binding, Thank you. I’ll definitely be doing this on my next quilt.

5. Georgene Wray says:

Thanks for another really inventive way to finish a quilt. I have used the reverse method for a while now but the flange adds another dimension. I shall keep in mind for the next quilt finishing project.

6. Brenda says:

Really like this.

7. granny knot says:

Did it twenty years ago.

8. ruby t says:

Hey Granny Knot…..hooray for you! You could have said..”….this technique is a good one and had used it in my projects 20 years ago…”

Some of us may not know this technique. Thanks, McCalls, for posting so others may learn.

9. Ann says:

A must try, if my arthritis lets up. Just the weight of the quilt prevents lots of things.
    I’d laf, but sometimes it’s not funny.

10. Juli Bachman says:

I would also like printed instructions as I do not have internet at home and don’t want to have to run to the library to refer to a video when I need a refresher course. I can file the print and use as needed.

11. Kathy says:

Juli, thanks for your suggestion. We’ll get a printed version of this technique on our to-do list! -Kathy-

12. Cheryl says:

Hello,
    I agree with comments above. Having a “PDF” document with pictures for instructions would be best. Videos are good; however, then you end up going back to the video and/or taking notes….all time consuming instead of sewing! Let’s have more PDF instructions please.

13. Sharon says:

Did you recently have directions for this binding in a current magazine. I saw it in print recently but cannot locate the magazine?

14. Linda Christianson says:

I hope I understand better this time since I cut my fabric wrong, so I hope next time I will try the 1 1/4″ outer wrap and the piping 1 1/2″, the inside. I can see how PDF would be very handy.

15. Debbie Taylor says:

I just learned this new technique. Awesome video. Thank you. You know if you used a stick like an orange stuck near the corner when you are sewing your fingers will be safer and we would be able to see what your are doing at the same time.