Friday Free Quilt Patterns: Blue Breeze Classic Lap Quilt Pattern

Blue Breeze full Friday Free Quilt Patterns: Blue Breeze Classic Lap Quilt PatternSometimes I’m in the mood for a truly challenging quilt pattern, but sometimes, I like the easy rhythm of a less-complex design. This sweet little Ann Weber lap quilt pattern from our archives is just such a design, with only one simple block and two shades of a favorite color…it’s like a breath of fresh air.

The pattern provides instructions for using just two different blues for the blocks and border. But you might enjoy sorting your favorite color family of scraps into lights and darks to create a scrappy version.

Blue Breeze flat 350px Friday Free Quilt Patterns: Blue Breeze Classic Lap Quilt PatternClick here for the FREE classic Blue Breeze lap quilt pattern. I hope your weekend includes at least a little time for quilting!

Click here if you’ve missed any of our previous Friday Freebies.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Friday Free Quilt Patterns: Blue Breeze Classic Lap Quilt Pattern

1. Jenelle Boxberger says:

Thanks, but how do I get this in a PDF file?

2. Rachell R says:

Amazing!
    I can’t see a link for a PDF version, so that I can save the pattern as a file. I also want to save it to my Kindle app. Is there a PDF?

Thanks!

3. Valerie says:

Sorry, Jenelle…no PDF for this one. Just have to print out the web page, “old-fashioned” style.

4. KathyM says:

You can ‘copy & paste’ this to a Word Document . . .

5. Jenelle Boxberger says:

okay I will try the cut and paste … thanks. Beautiful, this looks like one I can make.

6. Joanna says:

It may be simple, but it’s a charmer. Thanks for the pattern.

7. Linda Vandell says:

I have wanted to do a blue quilt and this looks like a happy project. Thanks

8. Pat Skidmore says:

Love this design. Also like the blue. Bet it would look his as good in many other colors.

9. Susan Cripps says:

What is the finished size of the “pinwheel” portion of this block supposed to be? I can’t get my next round to fit…..My pinwheel portion is around 6″ sq. Maybe my seams are too scant?

10. Valerie says:

Hi Susan,

I recommend making a sample block first, and being sure to use an accurate scant 1/4″ seam at each stage. (Two products I LOVE are the Perkins Dry Goods scant 1/4″ seam guide, used in conjunction with the Q Tools vinyl strip sewing guide, both available at Keepsake Quilting or your local quilt shop.)

Here are some measurement check-points for you:

The half-square triangle block at Diagram I stage should measure 3 1/2″ square.

The pinwheel square at Diagram II stage should measure 6 1/2″ square.

The block at Diagram III-A stage should measure 9″ square.

The block at Diagrams III-B and IV stages should measure 12 1/2″ square.

The final finished block in the quilt should measure 12″ square.

I hope that helps!

11. EloiseB says:

This looks like a marvelous pattern for baby quilts. I did the cut and paste to word and it worked great. I’m already thinking which kids prints in my stash I can use. I love the pinwheel block, it makes me think of spring.

12. Dray says:

If you want to save as a pdf file, just get a copy of cutepdf program (free program) and then click the ‘print’ button on the upper right of this page. Then when it starts to print, choose cutepdf as your printer. It will ask where you want to save it; choose your folder and your done. EasyPeasy

13. Carole says:

Instead of cutting so many little squares and triangles, how about giving instructions for using Thangles for the pinwheels? It would save lots of time and could be done either using scraps or not. Would love to make this quilt but bigger for a double or queen size bed. How much more fabric would be needed for that? Please keep in mind that we don’t all want to make little quilts/wall hangings. Directions for larger sizes would really be appreciated! Thanks.

14. Sheila says:

You can create a PDF by hitting the PRINT button (on a Mac). There will then be an option to save as a PDF, w/o actually printing the document.

15. Valerie says:

Hi Carole, Sounds like you have a fun idea for an alternate technique to make this quilt – would love for you to email us a picture of your finished version. For free bed size quilt patterns, please click here to go directly to our library of free quilt patterns. (At McCallsQuilting.com, click on the Blocks & Patterns tab.)

16. Sally Smith says:

Hi Valerie, I found your pattern and all the good advice you gave really helpful. I now have the cutest quilt. I’m really proud of myself … but hey, you’re only as good as your teacher … right?! I’ll certainly be visiting your library listed above. Thank you … and good to ‘meet’ you, Sally.