QDS™ Challenge 1 Showcase – Lynda DeTray

Amateur category finalist Lynda DeTray has been supported by her family throughout McCall’s Quilt Design Star™ 2012 competition: “My family and friends have been so supportive of my participation in the competition; my husband is especially encouraging and my quilting buddies have also been great.”

lynda detray QDS™ Challenge 1 Showcase   Lynda DeTrayLynda’s entry-round quilt is titled “Cinnamon & Spice”.

Lynda DeTray Cinnamon   Spice QDS™ Challenge 1 Showcase   Lynda DeTray

Cinnamon & Spice

“This was my first attempt at an Ohio Star Block and I enjoyed making it. I prefer foundation paper piecing over almost any other technique and that is how I made my Ohio Star. You can’t beat foundation paper piecing for precision and sharp points. I used EQ7 to create and refine my Challenge 1 Amish Star design and I’m pretty far along in the construction process. I’m pleased with the way the quilt is looking thus far and I’m looking forward to seeing what my fellow participants have done with the block. June 17th is coming quickly!”

“Here’s a photo of my potential fabrics for my Challenge 1 quilt. I’ve already narrowed it down and added several other fabrics to the mix, but I don’t want to give anything away. Maywood Studio’s Shadow Play is one of my favorite lines of fabric; I really enjoy using solids and blenders in my quilts and Shadow Play is a lovely fabric to work with.” Good luck, Lynda!

lynda detray stash 300x140 QDS™ Challenge 1 Showcase   Lynda DeTrayDon’t miss any of our QDS™ 2012 Designer Showcase posts – click here!

This QDS update has been brought to you by Sulky!

Sulky 200px QDS™ Challenge 1 Showcase   Lynda DeTray

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to QDS™ Challenge 1 Showcase – Lynda DeTray

1. Terri Vanden Bosch says:

Loved your quilt–and can’t wait to see how this block spoke to you. I am about 1/2 finished with my challenge quilt and am so looking forward to seeing all the other finalist quilts!!

2. Lisette Léveillé says:

Congratulation Lynda, You have a beautiful collection of fabrics for this Challenge…I also like to use colors in various tones…all the best in your upcoming Challenge…I put quite a few hours myself working on my Challenge this past weekend…

3. Julie says:

Love your fabric choices! It’s going to be hard to narrow them down. Can’ wait to see what you do!

4. Peggy says:

BEAUTIFUL WORK!!! It’s a wonderful blending of regal and playful!

I wish you continued success and am looking forward to seeing what you come up with next!
    Peggy

5. Lynda says:

Thanks so much for the nice comments!

Terri and Lissette – I’m looking forward to seeing your quilts as well. I really liked your quilts in the initial round and it’s going to be so interesting to see what we all come up with. I also love that, like true quilters, there’s a spirit of camaraderie among those of us who are participating!

6. Cathie in Ut says:

Can’t wait to see what you come up with! I love foundation piecing too!

7. Judy says:

Wow, that is a nice color palette to work with. Congrats on your progress. Cant wait to see all the new projects for this round. Good Luck to everyone!

8. Terri Vanden Bosch says:

Well it’s almost the final day–are you frantically finishing–or completely satisfied with your design and patiently waiting for Tuesday?!?