McCall’s Quilting Intern’s First Quilt: Part 4

8 blocks down, 4 to go! I’m almost at the midpoint of my time in Colorado, so fingers crossed I can get my entire quilt finished in just 4 short weeks.
Everyone here at McCall’s has been so supportive and helpful to me with this project; Tricia is even going to teach me how to quilt on a long arm machine! And of course, my quilting mentor who sits with me as I struggle through each block, a big thanks to my Aunt Kate for everything so far – love you!

This week I’ve been trying to challenge myself with more difficult block patterns from McCall’s Quilt Block Reference. I’ve made it into the Confident Beginner category now and with help, I’m doing pretty well so far.

The first block I tried my hand at was Hither & Yon. Just like the Amish Star Block, it has a lot of parts to it. I struggled most with all of the seams! No matter how hard I pressed them, I couldn’t seem to get each seam to lay the way I wanted (or flat at all, for that matter).

Lara 26 298x300 McCall’s Quilting Intern’s First Quilt: Part 4

Hither & Yon

The next block I worked on was Celtic Twist, my first Confident Beginner block! This one was tough because it involves some partial seaming, a new skill for me.

Lara 24 300x225 McCall’s Quilting Intern’s First Quilt: Part 4Lara 25 300x289 McCall’s Quilting Intern’s First Quilt: Part 4

The trickiest part of this block is remembering where each piece is supposed to go! I had to pin each 2″ square to its assigned rectangle so I could make my Flying Geese units without making myself crazy.

Lara 28 300x298 McCall’s Quilting Intern’s First Quilt: Part 4

Celtic Twist

This turned out to be my best block yet! All the greens complement each other and (finally) my pieces were all the same size and fit together just as they were meant to.

My goal for this weekend is to finish my last 4 blocks so I can get to work putting my quilt top together. Have you ever faced a real time crunch when working to finish a project? What’s the shortest amount of time it’s ever taken you to complete a quilt?

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to McCall’s Quilting Intern’s First Quilt: Part 4

1. Julie Dunn says:

It was a log cabin quilt. I think it was two weeks from purchase of fabric to quilted and delivered.

2. Annie says:

I love, love your Celtic Twist block. I’ve always liked this block, but your color choice makes it a great block!
    On your seams not behaving, try spray starch (I use Faultless Heavy Duty – about $1.00 at my local Target). I never used starch before I started quilting (this past February, so I’m pretty much a newbie, too), but I think it is so useful: makes the fabric feel good and behave better!
    Keep up the good work.

3. Marty Askins says:

Starch is your best friend.

4. Terri Vanden Bosch says:

you go girl!!

5. Karen Crum says:

Sizing is even better because it gives a good firm feel to the fabric, but isn’t as attractive to silverfish and other beasties if you have extras to store after you are done with the quilt.

6. A whole cloth baby quilt of flannel and meinke with satin binding in 3.5 hours.

7. Rosemary says:

Wow! That looks complicated. I find that I stick to simple blocks and concentrate on learning techniques. I am working on Craftsy’s BOM that introduces a technique by making one block and then the second block you have a variation of that block. I taught beginning sewing to middle schoolers during my part of my teaching career, but because of family responsibilities I did not get into quilting until I retired. I have been enjoying learning all the quick and easy techniques and hopefully using up my long acquired stash.