QDS™ Challenge 1 Showcase – Donna Moyer

Donna Moyer is a Quilt Design Star™ 2012 finalist from our Amateur category. Her colorful entry quilt is titled “The Gate”.

Donna Moyer The Gate QDS™ Challenge 1 Showcase   Donna Moyer

The Gate

donna and quilt 300x225 QDS™ Challenge 1 Showcase   Donna Moyer

Donna tells us in her own words how her quilting habit got started and what her experience with Challenge 1 has been thus far:

“I think I tried just about every craft you can think of, until one day in the mid 90’s I happened to spy some fabulous fabric in a little shop.  There was zebra fabric, giraffe fabric, cloud fabric, and lady bug fabric.  Wow!  This was news to me, as my latest endeavor had been counted cross stitch.  So I made a cute Noah’s Ark vest using my new-found fabric treasures.  I fell in love with textiles again, took a quilting class, and the rest is history.

Of course, at first I made quilts from patterns as there was so much I needed to learn.  It took me quite a while to get enough confidence to make even minor changes.  Eventually, though, I decided I wanted to make quilts that were my very own from start to finish.

I love every part of the process of designing a quilt, so I am having a great time today taking the very first steps to what I hope will be a great quilt.  Last night, after I was notified that I was a Challenge 1 finalist, I got right to work sketching my design.  Luckily the ideas that swirled in my head took on a pleasing shape.  It so happened that I was at a choral concert while sketching, so perhaps the lovely music had some influence upon my thoughts.  We’ll see how it turns out.

Sketching, drafting, tracing, cutting, piecing, hand appliqueing, measuring and pressing are all aspects that are enjoyable as well as necessary for the way I work.  I know some people work at the computer to create their masterpieces, but I really like to draw, erase, and draw some more.  It makes the design totally mine.  I won’t get to do my favorite parts of quilting in this challenge, because I love the hand quilting and binding of the quilt.  There is something so rewarding when you turn that binding over and hide the last little bits of stray threads.  Love it, love it.

Today I went to the fabric shop to get some white cloth to go with another print I had decided to incorporate in my design.  Did you know there are many shades of white?  Actually, there were too many to count, but I finally found just the right one—I hope.

I have tentatively named my newest creation ‘Twist of Lime’.  Uh oh, I think there are lots of shades of green, too.” What a fun quilt name! We can’t wait to see the final product, Donna.

This QDS™ update has been brought to you by one of our amazing sponsors, RJR Fabrics!

RJR 200px QDS™ Challenge 1 Showcase   Donna MoyerDon’t miss any of our QDS™ 2012 Designer Showcase posts – click here!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to QDS™ Challenge 1 Showcase – Donna Moyer

1. Lisette Léveillé says:

Donna, As a finalist myself, Congratulations. Your quilt ‘The Gate’ is an amazing piece. Staring long enough, you swear the door slightly opens. What a great effect. All the best in your next quilting piece.

2. Mary Ann Tozer says:

Donna, congratulations! The Gate is absolutely stunning… beautiful work! You are very inspiring :) I would love to see more of our original quilts! I hope to design some of my own someday (I’ve taken the small step of making changes to patterns, but no design just yet!) … and I do NOT like the quilting and binding part… lol. So you really ARE amazing to me!! Thanks for sharing your talents… :)

3. Gina Koston says:

OMG is all I can say! Your quilt is stunning. For being entered into the Amateur category, I think your talent is way above the Amateur level! Completely amazing!

4. Sharon says:

Absolutely beautiful. I can’t make out the required block, though. Maybe the pic isn’t big enough.

5. Kathy says:

Sharon, the quilt shown was an entry-round quilt, with no block requirements. The designer is currently working on her Challenge 1 quilt, with the block requirement. Sorry for the confusion!

6. Maria Carroll says:

Donna, I honestly don’t know what to say!! Your quilt has got to be one the most beautiful that I have seen in awhile. Congratulations on winning and I have a feeling we’re going to being hear lots more from and about you! I see some are saying your quilt doesn’t have a “required block”? Honestly with or without the “required block”, your quilt is an absolute winner in my opinion! Thanks for sharing such a beautiful piece of art!

7. Terri Vanden Bosch says:

Amazing color choices and wonderfully inspirational. This should be a great competition–can’t wait to see what each individual designer interprets this block to be. Mine is still on the drawing board–hope to get some fabrics tomorrow!!

8. Julie says:

What a gorgeous quilt! Would love to see a tutorial on how to do it! Can’t wait to see what you do next! And as far as I’m concerned Lime green is the new neutral!

9. Judy says:

What a beautiful quilt. Cant wait to see all the next round projects. Lime Green is my Son’s racing color. Good Luck to everyone!

10. Terri Vanden Bosch says:

How’s your time going–will it be a race to the finish–or will you have time to spare.
    Have fun and can’t wait until Tueday!!

11. Kari says:

I LOVE this quilt. My mom and I saw it at the Church History Museum and immediately fell in love with it! I wrote down your name and title of the quilt so I could come home and look it up and read more about it. Do you have a pattern for it? I would be in heaven if you did and I could give it to my mom for a present so she could make this beautiful masterpiece that you created. This would be a dream come true! Your talent is amazing and absolutely stunning. Do you sell other patterns as well that you have made. Please let me know if you do! Thank you Donna.