QDS™ Challenge 1 Showcase – Tammy Campsall-Morel

Welcome to the first in a series of blog postings introducing the Challenge 1 finalists for McCall’s Quilt Design Star™ 2012! We’ll be following these designers as they begin their first challenge, helping you get to know them even better before voting time rolls around again.

For their first challenge, each finalist must use a traditional block as inspiration for their quilt design. The Professional Category will use the Storm at Sea Block, found in McCall’s FREE Quilt Block Reference.

Tammy Campsall-Morel, a finalist in the Professional category, says she knew right away how she would incorporate the Storm at Sea Block into a new design. Tammy describes herself as a quilt artist, which is easy to see in her entry-round quilt, titled “In His Hands”.

Tammy Morel In His Hands QDS™ Challenge 1 Showcase   Tammy Campsall Morel

In His Hands

She says: “I have only ‘pieced’ maybe three quilts in total, so this Storm at Sea Block is more than challenging for me.  I am more of a quilt artist than a ‘piecer’, but love a challenge.”

Tammy doesn’t quilt alone, however. She wrote to us, describing her adorable assistant: “She has been helping me sandwich my quilts since she was about a year and a half old, loves passing the pins and sometimes even pinning now that she is a big girl. She has her own sewing machine, but keeps telling me she needs one more like mine. Right now I have her sewing a lot of paper so she doesn’t use up all my stash! My granddaughter is the best, and I love having her with me! She says I’m her best friend and she is mine.”

009 300x225 QDS™ Challenge 1 Showcase   Tammy Campsall Morel

Tammy's "helper"

“My friends and family are very supportive of my quilting efforts, and they are happy to see that I have made the challenge.  My husband might even be glad to see me out of his hair for a while…except at dinner!” Happy quilting, Tammy, and good luck!

005 300x225 QDS™ Challenge 1 Showcase   Tammy Campsall Morel

Tammy hard at work!

Check back soon to meet more Quilt Design Star™ 2012 finalists, and it’s not too late to enjoy all of the amateur and professional entry-round submissions on our website.

Today’s QDS™ Showcase was brought to you by one of our wonderful sponsors, Pfaff!

pfaff red text only 200px QDS™ Challenge 1 Showcase   Tammy Campsall MorelPfaff QE4 w trophy 300px QDS™ Challenge 1 Showcase   Tammy Campsall Morel

Don’t miss any of our QDS™ 2012 Designer Showcase posts – click here!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to QDS™ Challenge 1 Showcase – Tammy Campsall-Morel

1. Jennifer Mayer says:

Is there any way to get a “pattern” for this beautiful quilt? This would be a wonderful piece to make for my home church!

2. douglasnpatty@earthlink.net says:

I love your quilt! My 22 month, blond haired, blue-eyed grandson went to be with our Lord on Christmas Eve, 2010. This quilt says what I feel in my heart. I know that Jesus has my whole world, my sweet baby Matthew, in His hands. Thank you for sharing the quilt. You never know whose life you might touch. You touched mine. Bless you.

3. Linda Trull says:

In His Hands is such a beautiful thing we should remember every second of every day. My sweet son who passed away at the age of 41 is with the Lord now and so many of my loved ones. If it were not for my faith I don’t think I would have made it through. Thank you for sharing your quilt. It says it all.

4. I am so sorry to hear of your losses! But our loved ones are most definitely in God’s hands. He decided before we were born how long we would stay on this earth and the lives we would touch while here. This gift I share is definitely God given, I have known that from the start, and as often as I can possibly can I share my faith with others through my creations. The “In His Hands” quilt was actually an offshoot of a quilt that was given to me in a dream to make for someone who had lost thier teenage daughter. It can be seen on my website, and features the song “It is Well”

5. Julie says:

Beautiful quilt Tammy. Very inspiring and a work of art.

6. Christine Mitchell says:

Tammy, your quilt is truly amazing. I look forward to seeing what else you create during your journey in this challenge. I wish you well :)

7. Judy says:

Tammy, congrats on your progress. I am amazed that you are already done with your next quilt and Im still slaving away. Cant wait to see all the new projects for this round. Good Luck to everyone!

8. Patty Jager says:

Beautiful quilt! I, too, would love to get the pattern to make a memorium quilt for my little grandson. He passed awas early Christmas Eve morning of 2010. My daughter would love it and I know it would bring her comfort. He looked exactly like one of Akiane’s paintings. He was our joy.
    Thank you.

9. Marci Louttit says:

Beautifully inspiring quilting and art! Btw, I think I know you from Timmins High….could I be correct? Anyways, happy quilting, I’ve always wanted to take it up and now I’m inspired, thank you! :)