McCall’s Quilting Intern Begins Her First Quilt

Hello, McCall’s Quilting and Quick Quilts readers! My name is Lara and I am the new intern here at McCall’s. As a Pennsylvania native, coming to Colorado was a HUGE step for me, but I’ve loved every minute of my time here so far! I know much more about writing than I do about quilting since I’m an English major, but after seeing all of the beautiful quilts readers and the staff here create, I knew I had to join in on the fun.

Lara 0073 271x300 McCalls Quilting Intern Begins Her First Quilt

Lara - McCall's Intern

For the next 6 weeks, I’ll be staying with my Aunt Kate here in Golden, Colorado. Readers know her as Kathy Patterson, Senior Editor of McCall’s Quilting and Quick Quilts. She has agreed to teach me everything I ever wanted to know about quilting, and together we’ll create a sampler quilt that I can take home! I come from a family of very talented quilters, so hopefully I can make them proud (especially my Nana).

I’ll be blogging to readers throughout the entire process of creating my quilt, so feel free to comment! I’ll include directions and pictures for each new block I make and many will come from McCall’s quilt block reference page so you can follow along.

Yesterday I began the first step of making my quilt: choosing fabric. I had so much fun deciding what colors look good together and will suit the blocks I plan to create.

Lara 005 300x225 McCalls Quilting Intern Begins Her First Quilt

So many fabric choices!

Next step: learning how to use a sewing machine! I have a long weekend ahead of me…

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to McCall’s Quilting Intern Begins Her First Quilt

1. LC says:

Nice! I’m an English major turned quilter too! I’m sure you’ll be fabulous with such wonderful guidance :)

2. Sandi Colwell says:

Congratulations Lara!!!! How fantastic that you get to learn to quilt and spend time with your aunt! Best of luck to you, can’t wait to follow your progress!
    Sandi

3. Kathryn says:

So happy for you. Congrats on being the new intern and so much joy for you to be learning from your Aunt Kate…wishing you much luck…you’ll do fine!

4. Joanna says:

Also an English Lit major who now quilts, but I’ve been sewing since I can’t remember when. I hope you enjoy your experience and make quilting/sewing a part of your life.

5. Barb says:

Well done! You have a great teacher, so I am certain this will end with a most wonderful product. Enjoy the journey of what I hope will become a lifetime addiction as it has for me.

6. Kathy says:

Where in Pa did you live. I’m north of Pittsburgh! Go Steelers! Enjoy your time with your Aunt. You will learn alot.

7. Laurie says:

Hi Lara! I’m excited to follow your blog this summer – and I can’t wait to see your quilt! What a great learning experience for you!

8. Pingback: Quilting From The Start | The Comfort Trunk Blog

9. Sheila Lewis-Lorum says:

I just came across this and am so excited to follow along. Maybe I’ll eve n learn a few things along with you. Thanks for sharing.

10. Cheryl Rohrbaugh says:

Hello Lara……..very proud to say I knew you since you were a little wootsie!!!! And now look what you’re accomplishing. Keep up the good work.

11. Kathy says:

Thank you, Cheryl! It was hard work, but well worth it in the end. I think of you and Lee all the time, hope you’re both doing well!

Lara