Irish Quilt Blocks #2 (completed) and #3 (coming soon)!

Click here for all of Laura’s Ireland Quilt Blog posts
Click here for all Ireland Block of the Month patterns
Join our Ireland Block of the Month group on Quilters Club of America

Celtic Twist 300px Irish Quilt Blocks #2 (completed) and #3 (coming soon)!I know it’s a week late, but we finally have the instructions written and posted for the second block of my Irish quilt. Please click here for the Celtic Twist Block pattern.

Thanks for being so patient everyone! I’ve got my next block drawn out and now I just need to get sewing. It’s for the September block, oops, but I figure I have an excuse due to my foot surgery. However, I started driving with my right foot again this weekend, so I’m guessing I can use my foot on my sewing machine pedal now, too!

I’m thinking of this block as Leprechaun Gold. It’s got a ring of small nine-patches around a larger nine-patch and the little nine-patches are going to have little gold squares (I think). Here’s a photo of my mess of a diagram.

Block 3 diagram 300x225 Irish Quilt Blocks #2 (completed) and #3 (coming soon)!

Here it is in my rough drawing.

All of the scribbled patches will be green, as will all of the squares that aren’t gold. I can’t wait to see it in fabric! I have some fairy fabric that I’d love to work in if it doesn’t make the block look too crowded. We’ll see! Thanks for being so patient!! Laura

This entry was posted in Ireland trip, Laura Roberts and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Irish Quilt Blocks #2 (completed) and #3 (coming soon)!

1. lizen says:

That link doesn’t work.

2. Valerie says:

Thanks for letting us know, Lizen. Links are working now.

3. Beverly says:

Thanks for the pattern Laura and please don’t rush using your foot more than necessary. No pressure and take the time to heal.

4. Dorothy Ragland says:

Finished Block #2 today. Patiently waiting for #3. This is fun.

5. Barbara Dobson says:

I’m a little confused. This is the first time I’ve seen the site for a while. I was going to download all of the Irish Quilt Block squares. I only see 2 and 3. Where would I find block 1. Also – do all of these blocks go together to make one quilt – or are they just individual blocks to use alone or with any other blocks.

6. Barbara says:

The block patterns are not loading on my computer. Are they still available?

7. Patricia Smith says:

Love the Lucky Clover and Celtic Twist blocks.
    What was the name of Block #1? Is the pattern still available as a download?

8. Laura says:

Hi Patricia,
    I’m so glad you like the blocks! Block #1 is the Lucky Clover block and Block #2 is the Celtic Twist block. Patterns are available for download here.
    Thanks, Laura

9. Laura says:

Hi Barbara,
    Only the patterns for block #1, Lucky Clover, and block #2, Celtic Twist, are available for download right now. I’m still working on block #3, thanks to my silly foot, but will get photos and instructions posted for it by the end of next week. As to using the blocks, I’m planning to set mine all together with sashing to make my Irish quilt, but the blocks can be used any way you wish. Thanks for following along with me… by June I’ll have my blocks all done and hope to find fabric for the sashing (and maybe borders) in Ireland! Patterns for Lucky Clover and Celtic Twist are available here.

10. Laura says:

Hi Barbara,
    Yep, the patterns are available, just click here and a link will take you to them.
    Thanks, Laura

11. Myrtle says:

The numbers for the blocks are confusing. if Lucky Clover is #1 and Celtic Twist is #2 where is the # three block?. I like what you have done so far. Good luck with the rest of the blocks. Thanks for letting us follow along.

12. Laura says:

Hi Myrtle,
    The #3 block is the one I’m currently working on. You can see my messy sketch of it here. With any luck you’ll get to see the real block by the end of the week (with the block pattern to follow by the end of next week).
    Thanks,
    Laura

13. Gloria says:

I am so excited that I stumbled across your blocks. My husband is Irish and my kids definitely have the Irish genes. I always watch your trips to Ireland and wish I could swing it so that I could go. One day it will be my turn to join the tour. Thanks so much and keep up the good work for all of us.

14. Cecilia Morris says:

Approximately how much of fabric is going to be required for the blocks and how many blocks will there be? Thanks

15. Laura says:

Hi Cecilia,
    There will be 12 blocks, plus sashing. I can’t tell you exactly how much fabric will be needed because I’m designing this as we go along and my quilt is going to be really scrappy. I bought myself a stack of green fat eighths (a fat 1/8th is a 9″ x 20-22″ cut of fabric) to add more fun to my project, but that’s all I’ve bought thus far since I’m using greens and whites from my stash. I hope this helps!
    Laura

16. Frances says:

Hi, this is very confusing. Listed on the web page is block #2 and block #3. However, it appears as thought block #1 is actually one of those blocks.????? Are there actually 3 blocks available now? Sorry for my confusion. I am Irish and my kids are going to love this. Thanks for creating it.

17. Valerie says:

Hi Frances, Blocks 1 and 2 are finished, and their patterns are posted on our site for you, just click here. Block #3 is still in the planning/sewing stage, and will be posted to the same link on our site as soon as it is stitched and patterned.

18. Paula Turner says:

Thanks for designing these blocks. My sister and I have just completed our first sampler quilts and they look amazing. We are ready to set out on another and wanted something very Irish.

Paula

19. Kristi Pratt says:

I am excited about the blocks you are coming up with. Very creative! Looking forward to seeing the others. Thanks

20. Dorothy Ragland says:

October 7 I was patiently waiting. November 20 I am out of patience! I have seen the block, but no pattern. Are we going to get a pattern?

21. Barbara DeBusk says:

I agree with you Dorothy Ragland I am tired of waiting. I also have been waiting since October. I believe when someone starts a project an they want people to join in they should keep us inform what is going on.

22. Laura says:

Hi Dorothy,
    I’m sorry that you’re still waiting! I’m afraid that my foot surgery put a major stumbling block in my path. However, great minds think alike! Blocks #3 and #4 are done and the patterns are headed to the Art Dept.. Due to Thanksgiving, they won’t get posted until next week, but they’re in the pipeline. Please accept my apologies for keeping you waiting!
    Laura

23. Dorothy Ragland says:

Sorry about your foot problems and now looking forward to the next patterns. Thanks for the information.

24. Dorothy Ragland says:

Having the pattern, and starting the block, I understand what took so long. The block, I think, will be very pretty, WHEN I get it finished!!!

25. Dorothy Ragland says:

Finished block 3 and yes it is very pretty. Have also finished block 4. It was a lot quicker than #3. Going to be a pretty quilt.

26. Sally Dempsey says:

I have begun a queen size quilt of just block 2. It will be a wedding quilt for my son. I am so excited with the way it looks! I wanted to include a picture but the email site isn’t allowing me to paste it on. Thanks for the block pattern!