Block #2, Celtic Twist

Click here for all of Laura’s Ireland Quilt Blog posts
Click here for all Ireland Block of the Month patterns
Join our Ireland Block of the Month group on Quilters Club of America

Here it is… the second block of my Ireland quilt. I’m really happy with the way it turned

Ireland block 2 300x225 Block #2, Celtic Twist

Wouldn't this make a great quilt? Interlocking rings across the whole top.

out. Of course I ended up at the fabric store at 8pm last night to find the perfect background fabric, but I got my block done before midnight, so I made my self-imposed deadline. I’m actually enjoying the pace of one-block-a-month. I’d forgotten how fun a block-of-the-month is! And I promise to get this block pattern posted earlier than the last one. I’ll be on vacation next week, but promise to get to the pattern as soon as I get back.

Ireland blocks 1 and 2 together 300x225 Block #2, Celtic Twist

And here are Blocks 1 and 2 together. I'm definitely going to want sashing!

I’m planning to sew Block #3 next week while I’m on vacation. Next Friday I’m having surgery on my right foot (my sewing foot), so I’ll be back to left-footed sewing for a while and I want to make sure my block is done before then! If you’re sewing along with me, please email a photo to us at McQ@creativecraftsgroup.com. Be sure to put Ireland Quilt in the subject line. Thanks! Laura

This entry was posted in Ireland trip, Laura Roberts and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Block #2, Celtic Twist

1. Missie says:

good to see someone else thinks the way I do. I did this interlocking block and put embroidered bunnies in the blank places for Easter one year. In yellow & green with white background. Turned out pretty darn good!

2. lizen says:

You’ve sold me on the interlocking chains! I have plenty of leftover blue and white fabric from “America the Beautiful” (which, by the way, I am still having a blast sewing!), and I think I see another blue and white quilt in the works…

Although me dear old Irish da might like it in greens…hmm….

3. Marilyn J Kanne says:

Suggestion for layout — would be interesting to use the interlocking chain blocks to create a ‘frame’ for the shamrocks in the middle of the quilt. Perhaps the chain could be oriented on point so that it comes closest to the quilt edges at the center of -top-bottom-sides. That would create an open triangle for each quilt corner where the ‘orange’ might appear, perhaps in a small flower block, or even a small Irish flag replica? Just a thought inspired by the pretty blocks!

4. Cathy Weber says:

I found the download link for lock 1 but can’t find the link for block 2. This is the perfect quilt for my cousin so want to keep up with the blocks. Thanks for your help

Cathy

5. lizen says:

Marilyn, that is a great idea! Or maybe two sizes of blocks, so that the smaller chain intersects with the larger….

6. Dorothy Ragland says:

Block 1: The first seam is to be pressed open, so I also pressed the second one open. Then I came to the 3 1/2 inch square – is there a best way – seems open might be best. I first pressed toward the square, then thought open, but that makes is awkward when lining the two pieces together. Any help is welcome.

7. Valerie says:

Block 2 is in the process of being patterned and a link will be posted as soon as it is ready!

8. Sharon Gerstman says:

Please send me the download link for the Irish blocks. I guess I have overlooked them. Thanks!

9. Valerie says:

Sharon – here is the link for block #1, Lucky Clover Quilt Block pattern. The pattern for block #2, Celtic Twist, should be ready by the end of the month. We’ll post that link for you here as soon as it is ready.

10. Ena Lynn says:

My 1st great granddaughter is due in March. Irish on both sides. This will make a wonderfull quilt for our new addition. Green, gold and a little purple for her Mum.

11. Laura says:

What a lucky little sweetie!

12. Robin says:

Love these blocks…..makes me want to be back in Ireland. After visiting the country with my parents a few years ago to do some family history, I came home and made a quilt called Stars of Ireland. This block of the month quilt that Laura is creating would be a wonderful way to remember all the wonderful places that I visited while there. I can’t wait to see more.

13. Donna Miller says:

Celtic Twist is intriguing.

14. Crystal says:

Celtic Twist is by far my Favorite! Going to make it into a continuous quilt for my daughter. Thank you for sharing your talent! Great instructions, even I can follow! lol.
    -Crystal N. Gahanna, Ohio

15. kathy says:

I want to make a guilt, for my granddaughter, Shaylynn, using only the celtic twist. Would you happen to know anything about the yardage it might take for a queen size quilt? I have found your first two blocks, now looking for the third. Thank u so much for your time and help.

16. Valerie says:

Yardage estimates for a queen quilt are not available, however, your local quilt shop would likely be happy to help you determine the fabric requirements. Thanks!