My first Ireland block

Click here for all of Laura’s Ireland Quilt Blog posts
Click here for all Ireland Block of the Month patterns
Join our Ireland Block of the Month group on Quilters Club of America

My plan
Block 1, sketched
Block 1, pieced

Here’s my design for my first block. I’m hoping it’ll look like a 4-leaf clover when I get it sewn together. Wish me luck!

Ireland block pattern 1 300x225 My first Ireland block

I'm thinking dark and medium greens for the leaves and a light green center... all on a cream background.

I’ll post a photo of the completed block on Monday. Have a good weekend, everyone!

This entry was posted in 1-Current Interest, Ireland trip, Laura Roberts, Quilting Community and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to My first Ireland block

1. Kay von der Embse says:

I was just talking with my husband about the trip to Ireland. Wondering about the events for husbands. Would love to go if circumstances allow.

2. Deborah Maher says:

Can I get directions for this quilt? I’d love to make it. My husband is Irish and we’ve gone visiting some of the relatives over there. He’d love it!

3. bridget says:

a gentle reminder to laura the shamrock symbol of ireland has 3 leaves!!!!!

4. Laura says:

Thanks, Bridget. I’m looking forward to putting several shamrocks in my quilt, but this time I felt the need for a lucky 4-leaf clover.

One more thing… I’ve been getting inquiries, but the way to get more details on the trip is to visit our website home page and click on the Ireland photo. Thanks!

5. Pingback: When Irish Eyes are Smiling! | McCall's Quilting Blog

6. Kathy says:

I would love to do an Irish quilt. Will you be posting the patterns so others can join?

7. Laura says:

I’m sorry it took us so long, but the block pattern for Lucky Clover is now written and posted to our website. Here’s the link:

8. dorothy says:

You say this is 2 and 3…Where is 3?

9. Barb says:

Can’t wait to see the next block, will you post them once a month?

10. Laura says:

Hi Barb,
    The plan is to design and make 1 block a month until our trip next June. Since I did the first block in July, I should just make it. However, I’m late with block #3 because of some pretty invasive foot surgery (I’ll spare you the gory details) in mid-September. So, I need to get the 3rd block up ASAP, a photo of my messy design can be seen here, and try to get the 4th block done before I go to Market in Houston on the 27th. There are 2 links at the top of the same page that will take you to the completed block patterns as well as to all of my Ireland blogs.
    Thanks,
    Laura

11. Laura says:

Hi Dorothy,
    The block patterns for Lucky Clover and Celtic Twist can be found here. The blog entry title referring to blocks #2 and #3 was sharing the news that the pattern for #2 is now posted and showing a photo of #3 which I’ve designed, but haven’t made yet.
    Laura

12. carole bergne says:

where is the material yardage requirement for the Irish Quilt blocks?

13. Ireland says:

In Ireland we also have some blocks.

14. Laura says:

Hi Carole,
    Since the quilt is being designed month-to-month, I can’t provide a Fabric Requirements list. The block-only patterns on our website typically have a fabric description along with cutting information. You can use this info to gauge fabric needed. Since my quilt is going to be incredibly scrappy, I’m just buying small amounts of green fabrics I like and then looking through them (and my stash) to decide which to use in any given block. I hope this helps.
    Laura

15. Marty Askins says:

How many blocks are there going to be in the Irish Quilt?

16. Laura says:

Hi Marty,
    There will be 12 blocks, plus sashing. Whether or not you wish to add a border will be up to you. Some quilters are making extra blocks so their quilt will be larger. The blocks are very, very scrappy since I wanted to use fabrics from my stash, but now that St. Patrick’s Day fabrics have shown up in the shops I’ve been buying fat quarters left and right! I hope this helps.
    Laura