When Irish Eyes are Smiling!

Click here for all of Laura’s Ireland Quilt Blog posts
Click here for all Ireland Block of the Month patterns
Join our Ireland Block of the Month group on Quilters Club of America

My plan
Block 1, sketched
Block 1, pieced

In case  you haven’t heard, McCall’s Quilting is going to Ireland next year…and I get to go, too! I’m soooo excited! The trip is June1-11, 2012, so I thought it’d help me wait until next June if I got started on an Ireland-themed quilt now. I’m going to be making one block per month for the next year, and all of the blocks are going to have some sort of Irish connection. Naturally I decided to make my quilt from an array of green fabrics. Here’s the first group I’ve pulled together.

Ireland fabrics 005 300x225 When Irish Eyes are Smiling!

Here's my first group...I'm off and running!

My first block is supposed to be done by July 31st if I’m going to stick to my plan, so I’d better get sewing! I’ve chosen a block called Lucky Clover which has 4 or 5 fabrics depending on what I want to do, so I need to pick which fabrics to use first. I’m not sure that I want to use the muddier shades of green, ‘guess I’ll have to wait and see. I’ll post a photo of my first block here on Monday. Yippee!! Ireland!! Woot!!

This entry was posted in 1-Current Interest, 2-More from McCall's Quilting, Ireland trip, Laura Roberts, Quilting Community and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to When Irish Eyes are Smiling!

1. Rose says:

Hi, is there an event on in Ireland then, please let me know as I would love to attend.

Rose

2. Carla Riley Bell says:

I am so excited to see what you come up with! Green if my favorite color, and
    I love all things Irish, especially
    Ireland. Lucky you!!

3. Pam Thurston says:

I will patiently await your blocks–love the colors–and the theme sounds interesting

4. Linda Dalton says:

Can’t wait to see your blocks! I am also planning on going to Ireland and I am so excited as well! I will keep checking back to see your progress!

5. Ruth Clapp says:

Please send the itinerary. I can’t find it.

6. Laura says:

Thanks for your interest in our Ireland trip! Here’s a link to info on our site:

You can also call Jory for more information or to secure your space at 1-877-887-1188. I think it’s going to be a great trip!

7. Catherine says:

You might think about incoporating a bit of orange like the Irish flag…green, white, orange. The Irish government says that the green represents the Gaelic tradition of Ireland and the orange represents the followers of William of Orange in Ireland, with white representing peace, or a truce, between them. My mom used to wear orange on St. Patrick’s day, eschewing the green. :-)

8. Eileen Dyett says:

In the Republic of Ireland [southern counties] the colors of the flag are referred to as green, white and GOLD. Orange is not put into prominence, because of its association with William of Orange. However, I do agree that a touch of “gold” will certainly add a sparkling punch – as well as reflect the wonderful sunsets over the ocean. My husband and I spent an amazing week in the west of Ireland last year. I cannot wait to go back and explore more.

9. ktaylor says:

I suppose you could even incorporate some blue-greens and say they represent the seas surrounding the emerald isle. :)

10. Marilyn Heskin says:

The block is lovely and I would like the directions. However, it is not a shamrock; it looks more like a clover.

11. Olive Hall says:

Barbara, this is a wonderful idea. Did you know Johnny Cash wrote a song entitled, “Forty Shades of Green”. Daniel O’Donnell sings it on the DVD we have. You are absolutely correct about the meaning behing the colors of the Irish flag

12. Sher says:

Ireland has always facinated me. We had planned a vacation years back to travel while in Ireland on horseback going from Inn to Inn. Alas, my brother in law decided to get married and we had to cancel. Never did make it.

I will be very interested in see this quilt emerge.

13. Mary Britton says:

Are you going to post the patterns so we can make the quilt with you? I can’t afford the trip to Ireland (Have already looked and drooled!) but I sure would like to make the quilt with you

14. Carolyn Bibler says:

Love your quilt block idea “Forty Shades of Green” for the Irish!

15. Nancy Huggett says:

I love anything green so I am happy to see the Irish. Hope to do the blocks when I get back to Fl.

16. Barb Butterworth says:

I also love your colors too, Can’t wait to see your 1st block… I too would love to go to Ireland

17. Frances Szczesiul says:

I have always wanted to go to Ireland. Making an ‘Irish’ quilt would be great. Are there patterns of the quilt yuou are making?

18. Laura says:

I’m sorry it took us so long, but the block pattern for Lucky Clover is now written and posted to our website. Here’s the link:

19. Paula says: