Another Cityscape Art Quilt

sMartincitynights 221x300 Another Cityscape Art Quilt

Kudos to Sheryl Martin for jumping in with both feet to create her first cityscape quilt she calls “City Nights.”  She recently asked if I’d mind if she took inspiration from a postcard I’d given her of my painting called “Watertown.” I was delighted that she wanted to give it a go, and it looks like she has the bug! Well done, Sheryl.

Her quilt measures 19 x 26″ and is sewn with batiks and other fabrics. She embroidered the tree limbs and lights in the blue dome. She added backing and batting, turning the quilt rather than adding a binding. Then she finished with some quilting in all the black pieces.The blue sea running out of the frame is a fun touch.

Below is the postcard Sheryl used for reference. You can see the full painting of “Watertown” on my website: www.karengillistaylor.com.

Is anyone else making art quilts they would like to share? Hope so!

waterTowncrop 231x300 Another Cityscape Art Quilt

This entry was posted in Color Inspirations, Karen Taylor. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Another Cityscape Art Quilt

1. Marie says:

Great job! thanks for sharing!

2. I love that piece, it is gorgeous.
    Beautiful use of fabrics, really nice shades.

Debbie

3. Madeline says:

that is the first cityscape quilt I have liked!

4. Joyce says:

Brillant use of colors!!!

5. SewLindaAnn says:

Wow, that quilt is gorgeous. Of course the inspiration piece is as well. Can’t wait to check out the web site.

6. annie says:

that is astonishing and beautiful! I agree with Madeline It is the first cityscape quilt I have liked as well.

7. Barb Colvin says:

As soon as I saw Sheryl’s quilt, I thought ‘that looks like a K G Taylor city’. I have your 2011 calendar and have been contemplating using one of the prints as a basis for a quilt. Love your work!

8. ktaylor says:

Yes, Barb, you did spot that, and thanks! Finding and choosing fabrics for the picture’s elements is one of the most fun parts of this process. You should give it a try!

9. You really matched the colors well and captured the feeling in the original art. I hope you make more arty, city type quilts. This one turned out great!

10. Leslie Clark says:

Love your work! I love the way the color spills out of the frame. Love love love the colors!!