A Quilter Moves In! Day 2

If the bolt fits…

Aaron (AJ) was helping me to wrap my bolts into 5-bolt bundles and when we finished he declared, “She has 99 bolts!” I don’t really, they’re not full bolts… it’s just that whenever I have 6 yards or more of a fabric I wrap it on an empty bolt (from my favorite quilt store) so it stores more easily. My bolts are much easier to put away than all of the fabric in my boxes is going to be. You see, I use an old oak teacher’s desk as my cutting table. I’ve elevated it to the right height by placing the feet in pieces of PVC pipe and it just so happens that bolts fit perfectly between the pipe feet (as my brilliant daughter, Bria, pointed out).

new house new sewing room 0141 300x225 A Quilter Moves In! Day 2

These are the very first residents of my soon-to-be sewing room… aren’t they lovely? Welcome home, Sweeties!

new house new sewing room 015 300x225 A Quilter Moves In! Day 2

Fortunately, when you use a desk as a cutting table, you don’t need to keep the knee hole available for your knees.

There are also bolts leaning on my sewing table and against the wall in a couple of places. The saga continues tomorrow!

This entry was posted in A Quilter Moves In, Laura Roberts. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to A Quilter Moves In! Day 2

1. Elaine says:

Thanks for the great tip on using PVC pipe to elevate a table. I use a folding table and have not been happy with the methods I use to elevate it. Good luck on the move!
    e

2. Laura says:

I’m glad I could be of help! Over the years I’ve used PVC pipe of varying diameters, depending on the table I was elevating. And, to make it so the table doesn’t wobble, be sure to angle all of the bottoms of the pipe segments out, away from the table. One more tip: I’ve been very fortunate to have the lumber people at the big do-it-yourself stores cut the PVC segments for me. I just take in the measurements and ask for help. Let me know what you think!

3. glenda oliver says:

great idea on rasing the height of your cutting table i have raised mine with square piece of wood and took adrill bit and made hole for table leg to fit in

4. Diana L says:

I love the bolts under the table. My husband made me a table out of an old conference room table – it’s 4″ x 8′. We put a piece of MDF on top, painted, and I have my cutting boards on top. He put locking wheels on it so I could move it around if needed, and a shelf on the bottom and in the middle. Holds my interfacings, fusible fleece, linings, trims, elastics, etc. I too use bolts from the fabric store but for pieces bigger than 1 yd. or so, depending on the fabric.

5. donna says:

I love the idea of the PCV ,plus I love the idea of rewrapping the fabric on bolts, Questions, are you concerned with the dust getting on your fabric, or the light (bleaching) , or will you hang a “curtain” ? just wondering, looks very organized, good job

6. Laura says:

Actually, I don’t worry about dust at all. There’s so much ‘fabric dust’ in my sewing room that I’d have to encase my fabric in plastic to keep the dust off and I don’t want to do that because I’d worry about mold and mildew. Light is another matter. Here in Colorado the sunlight is very strong, even in winter. However as my sewing room is below ground no sunlight reaches my room at all. Nonetheless I know that even indoor lighting can cause some fading, so I do try to rotate my bolts from time to time. Mostly I don’t worry about it with modern quilting fabrics. They are so much more colorfast than they were 20 years ago. And, thanks for saying it looks organized! That is the ultimate compliment to a pack rat like me!