Left-footed Sewing …

A while back a comment appeared on my Left-Footed Sewing blog entry. A fellow quilter, David, has suffered a stroke and now his wife is helping him sew. He’s asking for any tips to make sewing easier for someone with disabilities. Please take a look at his comment (on my Left-Footed Sewing blog) and share your solutions for successfully stitching with physical limitations. Thanks for helping, and don’t forget to ask your friends for any tips they may have!

This entry was posted in Another day at McCall's, Laura Roberts. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Left-footed Sewing …

1. Diane says:

I have a cast on my right leg and an obsession with quilting. Several years ago after having a similar surgery (and the same obsession), I taught myself how to sew by using my left foot – it just takes a bit of time, patience and a lot of practice. I recommend that you use some scrap material to practice getting the “feel”. It works and takes your focus off of your disability and onto your ability!

2. Laura Roberts says:

Marjorie Busby left a great tip on my original ‘Left-footed sewing, really?’ blog. Instead of pinning seams together for her mom to sew, she uses Elmer’s glue. What a great idea! I’ve used glue sticks in quilting for years, but never thought of basting a seam with glue. Take a look at that original ‘Left-footed sewing, really?’ blog for more good ideas. And, please keep those tips and tricks coming!

3. Judy Brill says:

I use either glue stick or elmers glue to baste my bindings to the front of my quilt after I have sewed them to the back. I no longer get stuck with pins or have to worry about the pins coming out and onto the floor.

4. Jude Devantier says:

I was told to learn to use my left foot as it was better for my posture. It felt strange at first but is now just second nature to me. People do comment occasionally but for the most part no one notices.

P.S. It did help my back, so best of luck

5. Donna Thoreson says:

I switch between using my right foot and my left. I suffered from sciatica in my right leg and switching helped to heal my sciatica. I find I still switch feet every once in awhile.-to ease the pressure on my right leg.

6. Carole Beery says:

I sew all day and find switching between my left foot and my right helps relieve muscles in my back. I take the time to stretch. It takes concentration but, it helps slow you a bit so you don’t make mistakes as often on your sewing project.

7. Sharon Williams says:

I use a machine that doesn’t require a foot peddle to sew with unless I need to use it. At first it was odd to simply push the “sew” button with one finger instead of using my foot on the peddle but after a couple of days it became second nature. I also have little or no feeling in my fingers so picking up pins and needles is a challenge. I too use glue sticks or liquid fabric glues to hold seams etc. works wonders.

8. GwenWilson says:

Iam a lefted handed sewer and found it odd to sew right footed, but I learned quickly. Sometimes I change feet. Good thing machines are made from the left!

9. Loos says:

I am trying to teach myself to use my left foot on the controller especially when I need to use the knee lift on my sewing machine. The knee lift is great for appliqué work but is not in the correct position when sewing with my right foot. Any hints on teaching myself to sew with my left foot. It is so awkward!