EQ7 Rocks!

EQ 300x225 EQ7 Rocks!

My new toys, ready to install

This week the McCall’s Quilting staff was treated to two half-days of training on Electric Quilt 7, just released! Our teacher, Mary Ellen Kranz, was perfect for our little group, composed of a mixture of the tech-savvy and the tech-wary. We started the training a bunch of EQ novices, and by the time Mary Ellen left, we were all completely enthused about the software, and excitedly brainstorming about ways to use it in our working days (we already know how we’ll use it at home…sorry, husbands, kids, and other significant others, you’ll have to make your own dinners for awhile…)

Do you EQ? If you do, do you plan to purchase or upgrade to version 7? Leave a comment and let us know…we’d love to hear from you!

Kathy

This entry was posted in Kathy Patterson, Quilting Inspiration and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to EQ7 Rocks!

1. Sonia KLEIN says:

hey sewing industry! Catch up with those of us who love our iMacs!

2. I purchased an upgrade and it’s keeping me awake at night! I can’t stop playing with it. Looking forward to seeing some designs the McCall’s Quilting staff comes up with. EQ is such a fun program and the EQ staff are so fantastic! Love everything about it.

3. Sue Green says:

I pre-ordered the upgrade but haven’t received it yet.

4. Sharon says:

I did not purchase the upgrade, only because I just don’t find the time to use the program. I’ve got the book, I’ve taken a few workshops and I love what it does. I just don’t use it enough to warrent the upgrade this time.

5. Kim says:

I certainly do EQ! Ordered the upgrade and waiting not-so-patiently for it to arrive. :)

6. Becky says:

It’s on my christmas wish list already! I hope I can wait that long….

7. SewCalGal says:

I agree – EQ7 Rocks. Amazing release. So easy to use and so much fun. I’m really enjoying spending more time designing!
    Love it!

SewCalGal

8. Kathy says:

Sonia, the Mac problem was why we McCall’s editors hadn’t installed EQ until now, but we found out in our training that there are easy ways around it. I’m going to install a Windows operating system on my MacBook at home and partition the hard drive so I can run EQ there as well. Lots of Macs have something called BootCamp already installed to make this possible. If you’re longing to EQ, I hope you’ll check into this solution!

9. Jocelyn says:

I was given EQ6 for Christmas last year. I’ve not had a lot of time to learn the program, and not being computer literate, it was a little overwhelming to me. So all in all, I did not order the upgrade because I felt that I should try to learn on what I had already. I’d love to take a class or something to get the bare bones basics down.

10. Dorothy says:

Just wish they would come out with a Mac version — yes I know I can install bootcamp; but then I open my Mac to all the PC viruses — so I won’t do that. Several years ago there weren’t that many Macs out there; but they have increased in popularity and lots more applications are out there, so come on EQ let’s have a Mac version!!!

11. Cecilia says:

I received my upgrade this past Tuesday. I’ve installed it and have already started playing with it. I love the new capabilities. I would love to be able to take a class though, so that I could really utilize it.

12. Carol says:

I have EQ6 upgrade. I’m trying to decide if I should by EQ7 Upgrade or go the whole ball of wax and go EQ7. What are the pros and cons besides price
    Carol

13. I did the upgrade to EQ7 and love it as it will work with all the EQ6 books i just got them all on amazon .com for way less a few months ago for a late birday gift to my self. I do allot of table runners and placemats and allot of lap quilts and baby quilts . I have done 1 twin size quilt that was for my hubby way back in the early 90′s I go to connecting threads.com and download there EQ fabrics and patterns too any where I can get more fabics to use the better in my designs that i buy helps allot. I love the videos they have that show you how to use things it is the way to go. I am going to use it soon as i have been really busy with other sewing for forth of July and baby quilts I have started. but in a few days I will design more of my own quilts and table runners and place mats and table toppers and even do a few napkin designs using the jelly rolls. that I have been collecting and Charm Pkgs too. turnovers,. I have more Patriotic fabrics beacuse I am a retired navy wife and come from a family that fought for our freedom way back with George Washington so I am drawn to that type of fabric . well I guess thats is all hugs to every one I am now making a door hanger of a american flag using fabrics from Connecting thread all red white and blue .

14. Pat says:

Hubby gave me EQ5 a few years back and, for some reason (maybe because I was a relatively new quilter then), I wasn’t able to learn it very effectively. I did go to EQ7 now, though, and it seems to be wonderful. I’ve only learned enough to explore the “tip of the iceberg”, but I expect to continue learning AND enjoying it a lot in the months to come!

15. Eva says:

I have EQ 5 and did not purchase EQ6. I bought EQ7 upgrade. Can I load this on my computer without having EQ6 or do I have to purchase EQ6?

16. Martha Peterman says:

I have eq5 and I dearly love it!!!! I would love to upgrade it to eq7 but right now I just don’t have the money to buy it. The quilt that I entered in your quilt challenge I designed on the eq5. One of these days I will have the eq7!! I read a little about it on the eq site. Boy just the little bit of info has me imaging all the things that I could do on the eq7. But I will have to be patient a little bit longer. There are so many amazing things that I can do on my eq5.

17. Kathy Hannah says:

Hi Eva,

The EQ support team is fabulous. Just contact their tech support by going to: http://www.electricquilt.com/ – Just click on “Support” and “Ask Tech Support”.

Good Luck!

Kathy

18. I have EQ 5 and EQ6. Not satisfied with the way the fabric displays in projects in EQ6. Is hesitant to buy EQ7 because of the fabric issue. I need to know whether the fabric displays in EQ7 as it does in 5 or 6. I love the way the fabric displays in projects in EQ5. Also, I haven’t seen EQ7 demonstrated, only still photos.

19. Kathy Hannah says:

Hi Edna,

I’m not sure about your display question, but there is very good information at http://www.electricquilt.com. If you don’t find the answer, an e-mail to their support people is normally answered very quickly.

Thanks for reading!

Kathy

20. I am one of the 15 honored to be a finalist in the McCall’s Quilting Quilt Design Star Contest. I have used Electric Quilt since EQ3! I love it. I use it to design all my quilting patterns. It is amazing. I am sure it has saved me meters and meters of fabric…yes, meters. I am the only Canadian in the contest. It is great to be able to “test drive” so many layouts to see which one helps you transform the vision in your mind into fabric.

21. Donna says:

wish I had a 2 day class upgraded to EQ7 but never really was able to move around much hope they have some good class here in Michigan soon

22. I upgraded to EQ7 and love it. I especially like the feature of adding my own fabric to help me visualize the end results.