We invite you to submit your original designs to be considered for publication in Quiltmaker, Quilters Newsletter, McCall’s Quilting and McCall’s Quick Quiltsmagazines. We are always looking for new ideas, including traditional, whimsical and seasonal designs, featuring different techniques including applique, foundation piecing and hand embroidery in a variety of styles from wall to bed size.
Our submission guidelines are listed below. Mail your design to Lori Baker, Acquisitions Editor, Golden Quilting Community, 741 Corporate Circle, Suite A, Golden, Colorado 80401 or send email to email@example.com.
- All submissions must be original designs. We are interested in designs suitable for all skill levels. Applique, foundations or templates should have patterns that will fit onto one or two magazine pages. A colored drawing of your design on graph paper or a computer printout is preferred, but we will also consider photographs of finished quilts. You may also send a jpg, tiff or pdf file via email.
- If your design is chosen, you will be sent a permission form with questions about the origin of the design and any prior publication rights along with a contract. Because we strive for balance in theme, color and pattern complexity within each issue, coloring or setting arrangements of your design may be changed. If you have submitted a photo of a finished quilt for publication consideration, we will need the quilt sent to us for in-house photography. We would need to keep your quilt approximately eight to twelve weeks.
- Upon acceptance of your design, a design fee ranging from $225-$400 will be sent to you, with design credit given to you in the magazine. The design fee is broken down as follows:
- Small projects/table runner: $225
- Crib/wall: $275
- Throw/twin: $325
- Double/queen/king: $400
- We will have exclusive rights to first publication of the pattern. Ninety days after publication, we both have rights to the pattern allowing you to publish the pattern and Quiltmaker, Quilters Newsletter, McCall’s Quilting and McCall’s Quick Quilts to republish at a later date in print or digital form.